Non profit organization/foundation
James Smith
2015-12-27 22:34:50 UTC
What's status on this effort? Has a purpose statement been drafted?
trijezdci
2015-12-28 09:18:10 UTC
Post by James Smith
What's status on this effort?
I am still soliciting financial contributions to cover the legal fees. Although we have several pledges, we are not yet able to cover 100% of the cost. I have promised everyone that we will only go ahead once we have full coverage since it makes no sense to spend any money unless we know we can go the whole distance. A partially done foundation setup is of no use to anyone.

I am also still chasing a company in Switzerland who have published pricing for setting up a foundation that is very significantly lower than the quotations I have obtained from others. Unfortunately, this company does not seem to respond to email and their telephones are always on answering machine mode and they did not get back to me. We would be able to cover the cost they advertise but I am somewhat weary of using a company that does not return enquiries from potential customers. Nevertheless, I keep trying to get in touch with them to see what they have to say.

Feedback I received from some potential contributors led me to believe that the willingness to contribute will be stronger once we have something tangible to show such as a working or partially working compiler. For this reason I have recently focused on the bootstrap compiler. I can definitely say that this has already made a change in terms of how our project is being perceived. There are also a few more funding opportunities for me to pursue once we have a working bootstrap compiler to show.
Documents for a Swiss foundation have to be drafted by accredited legal professionals in Switzerland. We are only going to incur the fees once we know we can complete the entire process. However, the companies I approached for quotations have been given a written brief.
j***@gmail.com
2015-12-28 11:26:21 UTC
How about crowd funding? Crowds fund everything, even the kitchen sink.
trijezdci
2015-12-28 13:20:32 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
How about crowd funding? Crowds fund everything, even the kitchen sink.
Yes, we have a volunteer on the team who is looking into it.

The thing is though that the chances of success of a crowd funding campaign increase significantly when the crowd stands to get something out of it, such as a gadget, a book or in our case a working compiler, etc etc. The setting up of a non-profit foundation is somewhat less attractive to the crowd.

Thus it can't hurt to getting the initial bootstrap compiler working and do the campaign at that point.