modula2.org
Tom Breeden
2003-12-14 18:32:06 UTC
Hi.

I have just been looking at www.modula2.org and it is a really nice resource.

The pages make reference to "we", but I could not find anything there
about who "we" are. Does anyone know who is behind this nice site?

Do you think this is the place to post some of the source code I have
been meaning to make available for the last ten years or so?

Thanks,

Tom Breeden
***@virginia.edu
Chris Burrows
2003-12-14 23:07:47 UTC
Post by Tom Breeden
I have just been looking at www.modula2.org and it is a really nice resource.
The pages make reference to "we", but I could not find anything there
about who "we" are. Does anyone know who is behind this nice site?
The domain is registered to Frank Schoonjans - he's also mentioned in the
Modula-2 FAQ if you want to track him down.

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com
biores.org
2003-12-15 11:45:56 UTC
***@ugent.be is one email address.

Well documented source code, or any other contribution, is welcome.

Frank Schoonjans

University Hospital Gent (http://www.andrology.be)
(also MedCalc software - http://www.medcalc.be)
Tom Breeden
Tom Breeden
2003-12-15 21:17:49 UTC
Thanks.

I haven't seen any documentation on how to create
a new "device" for ISO Channel I/O (is that likely to be
in the ISO Standard Documents?).

Anyway, I have gone ahead and tried to create a write-to-memory
Chan IO device, and would like to post it for comments, suggestions,
etc. Eventually it might server as a good example.

I will try to get it somewhat documented and send it along to you.

Tom
Tom Breeden
Norman Black
2003-12-15 23:06:17 UTC
Post by Tom Breeden
I haven't seen any documentation on how to create
a new "device" for ISO Channel I/O (is that likely to be
in the ISO Standard Documents?).
You use the services of the IOLink module.
Use AllocateDeviceId to get a unique deviceId.
Use DeviceTablePtrValue to get a pointer to the device table and then
fill in the fields of the record as necessary for what you want your
channel to do.

For functionality beyond the abilities of the I/O procedures in the
device table record you would to create a module to provide these.
Opening or creating a channel for example. Or other functionality. For
example, the RndFile module provides features to set/get a file position
since there is no such functionality in the device table record.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software
Tom Breeden
Norman Black
2003-12-15 23:12:39 UTC
Post by Tom Breeden
I haven't seen any documentation on how to create
a new "device" for ISO Channel I/O (is that likely to be
in the ISO Standard Documents?).
I forgot to mention. Since you are a Stony Brook user you can look at
the RTL source code modules to clarify the creation of a new channel
device. The SeqFile, StreamFile, RndFile and TermFile modules are all
examples. The Seq, Stream and RndFile modules are all providing access
to a "file" so they use a common implementation which is in the ISOFiler
module.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software
Tom Breeden
Tom Breeden
2003-12-17 21:14:56 UTC
Post by Norman Black
Post by Tom Breeden
I haven't seen any documentation on how to create
a new "device" for ISO Channel I/O (is that likely to be
in the ISO Standard Documents?).
I forgot to mention. Since you are a Stony Brook user you can look at
the RTL source code modules to clarify the creation of a new channel
device.
Yes, I don't think I could have gotten very far without looking at the SB
sources,
and also the Mac ISO Libs Implementation that Richard Sutcliffe kindly
shared with me
a while back when I was creating ISO std libraries for an M2 compiler for
68040 Amiga

I'd still like to have an "architecture document" type thing discussing the
ISO I/O
ISO Std I/O for Dummies, maybe :).

Tom
Frank Schoonjans
2003-12-21 08:48:04 UTC
Tom's "User Device for ISO Std Channel I/O to Memory" is available at:
http://www.modula2.org/projects/tbchans.php

Thank you Tom.

Frank.
www.modula2.org